As part of modernizing its marketplace and creating a more streamlined experience for customers, eBay is expanding its management of payments to France, Italy and Spain in the first quarter of 2021.
This expansion will continue to offer buyers flexibility and choice in payment methods and give sellers an easier way to manage their businesses.
eBay began managing payments on its platform in the U.S. for a select group of eligible sellers in September 2018, followed by expansions to Germany in 2019 and the UK, Australia and Canada earlier this year.
The company is now working to scale its management of payments to all countries.
“By managing the payments process, we’re creating a simpler, more unified experience for our customers, and streamlining operations for our sellers with one place to sell and get paid,” said Alyssa Cutright, Vice President of Global Payments at eBay.
eBay Offers More Choices On How To Pay
The company plans to offer buyers in these countries more ways to pay, in addition to credit card and PayPal.
Apple Pay will be available as a payment option on iPhone and iPad. Google Pay will also be available on the eBay site and on the eBay Android App.
eBay Managed Payments Expansion Will Accelerate Due To End Of PayPal Agreement
eBay’s managed payments reached a significant milestone at the end of July with the expiration of its Operating Agreement with PayPal.
Now, eBay is able to scale its management of payments globally, offering buyers more choice and flexibility in payment options and simplifying business operations for sellers.
At the end of Q2, eBay had already enrolled over 255,000 sellers in managed payments globally. Since launch, eBay has managed payments for nearly 42,000 sellers and processed $4.7 billion in GMV.
The company continues to be on track with its roll out of managed payments, transitioning a majority of sellers on its marketplace into the experience in 2021 and aiming to complete the process in 2022.
Managed payments is expected to deliver $2 billion in revenue and $500 million in operating income in 2022.
eBay Managed Payments Buyer & Seller Benefits
- Greater choice and relevant set of payment options at checkout: eBay plans to offer buyers a variety of payment options, including credit card and PayPal. Apple Pay will be available as a payment option on iPhone and iPad. Google Pay will be available on the eBay site and on the eBay Android App.
- A checkout experience that begins and ends on eBay. By managing payments, eBay is able to deliver a more streamlined experience through the entire purchase and post-order process.
- Buyer Protection: Eligible purchases made in the new payments experience are covered by local buyer protection programs, independent of payment method used.
- Greater sales reach: Offering buyers more choice and options for how they pay and enabling buyers around the globe to pay in the ways that are most relevant to them.
- A central place to manage the business: Sellers will experience easier account management with all information about their eBay business, inclusive of payments information, in one place, so that sellers can easily track and manage all of their transactions and customer interactions on eBay. This will also include one centralized customer service experience.
- Simplified seller protections provided by eBay.
- Payouts directly to their bank account: Consistently initiated within 2 business days of an order confirmation, regardless of how the buyer paid, with the option to choose a weekly or daily frequency, as funds are available.